Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Sources: Nats closing in on deal for Eaton

The Nationals are nearing a deal with the White Sox that would send outfielder Adam Eaton to Washington, sources told FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal on Wednesday. Sources have confirmed to MLB.com that the two are closing in on a deal. Neither team has commented on the report.
Sources tell MLB.com that the Nationals would send to the White Sox right-hander Lucas Giolito, their No. 1 prospect, right-hander Reynaldo Lopez (No. 3) and right-hander Dane Dunning (No. 6). Giolito is MLB Pipeline's No. 3 overall prospect; Lopez is No. 38.
Eaton, who turned 28 on December 6, is under club control through 2021.
Acquiring Eaton, a talented center fielder, would allow the Nationals to move Trea Turner back to shortstop, his original position.

Cubs get Davis from Royals for Soler

The Cubs, adding more depth to the bullpen and possibly a new closer, completed a deal Wednesday to acquire Wade Davis from the Royals for outfielder Jorge Soler.
Soler seemed to be the odd man out in the Cubs outfield with the return of Kyle Schwarber. In three seasons, Soler has batted .258 with 27 home runs and 98 RBIs. A right-handed hitter, he is entering the sixth year of a nine-year, $30 million contract. Leg injuries have limited Soler, who played 101 games in 2015, hitting .262.
This season, Davis was on the disabled list twice because of a right forearm strain and a right flexor strain. When he came off the DL in September, he finished with a 3.12 ERA in nine games, going six for seven in save opportunities. The Cubs would need to have Davis examined by their medical staff before any deal is finalized.
The Cubs acquired Aroldis Chapman last July to help them get to the postseason and the lefty was a key part of the team's playoff run. Chapman is reportedly seeking a six-year deal, which doesn't fit in the Cubs' budget.
The Cubs have in-house options to close, and Maddon said Tuesday that Hector Rondoncould return to that role next season. Rondon was 18-for-23 in save situations this past season, and posted a 1.72 ERA in the first half. He was bothered by a strained right triceps in the second half, and had a 6.41 ERA in 22 games. The Cubs acquired Chapman in late July to take over the role.
"I think it's safe to say we're kicking the tires on any pitching that's available," general manager Jed Hoyer said Monday.

Marlins agree to 1-year deal with lefty Locke

Another rotation candidate is about to join the Marlins. Left-hander Jeff Locke has reached an agreement on a one-year contract, pending completion of his physical, MLB.com has confirmed.
Locke, who had been with the Pirates since 2011, would become one of three left-handers in Miami's projected rotation. The Marlins also are finalizing a contract with right-handed reliever Dustin McGowan, who will be returning to Miami.
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports was first to report Locke's deal.
Locke is the second free-agent starter the Marlins have signed in the past two weeks. They previously added right-hander Edinson Volquez to a two-year, $22 million contract.
Locke was 9-8 with a 5.44 ERA in 30 appearances (19 starts) in 2016. The 29-year-old struck out 73 in 127 1/3 innings.
In Miami, Locke will be reuniting with Jim Benedict, the Marlins' vice president of pitching development. The two previously worked together in Pittsburgh.
An All-Star in 2013, Locke was 10-7 with a 3.52 ERA that year. He has a 50.6 percent ground-ball rate over the past four seasons.
Locke is primed to join fellow left-handers Adam Conley and Wei-Yin Chen in Miami's rotation. Volquez and Tom Koehler are the right-handers.
McGowan, 34, posted a 2.82 ERA in 55 games with the Marlins over 67 innings in 2016. He was a non-roster invitee last year. The right-hander is finalizing a guaranteed big league deal, which means he is expected to make the Opening Day roster.
McGowan has starting experience during his years with the Blue Jays. He will likely be used in multiple-inning relief situations.

Rockies, Desmond reportedly agree to deal

The Rockies and free-agent outfielder Ian Desmond have agreed on a reported five-year, $70 million deal, sources told FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal on Wednesday.
The club has not confirmed the deal.
Because Desmond declined Texas' qualifying offer, the Rockies will forfeit their first-round (No. 11 overall) pick in the 2017 Draft.
Desmond hit .285 with 22 home runs and 86 RBIs in 156 games for the Rangers in 2016.