The Orioles have made it pretty clear that they'd like to re-sign free-agent outfielder Mark Trumbo, though nothing seemed imminent on Monday night as the club can only hope the market for Trumbo comes down.
O's executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette, who confirmed on Sunday night that the club had extended an offer, said on Monday that there wasn't anything new in those negotiations.
"Nothing has really changed from our perspective," Duquette said of Trumbo, who turned down the team's qualifying offer earlier this offseason. "So, we're still looking around. We want to improve our defense if we can next year in the outfield."
According to a MASNSports.com report, the Orioles extended a four-year offer to Trumbo, though ESPN.com reported it was three years and an option. Regardless, Trumbo's camp is said to be looking for a deal in the $75 million range, which is a significant commitment for the O's.
Trumbo led the Majors with 47 homers in 2016 and was an integral part of the lineup. But even if the Orioles can find a way to keep him, Duquette reiterated that the club would still like to add a left-handed-hitting outfielder as well.
"We'd like to get some balance to our roster," Duquette said. "We have some right-handers, right-handed power hitters in the infield. So, we'd like to balance that out with a left-handed hitter in the outfield."
Duquette wouldn't say whether the club has a better chance to do that in trades or free agency, though the Orioles were linked to the Mets -- Jay Bruce and Curtis Granderson -- late Sunday night and again on Monday.
New York is reportedly interested in a high-end reliever, such as Brad Brach, and the club isn't alone in coveting some of Baltimore's bullpen arms. Brach and others have drawn a healthy amount of trade interest, though Duquette is hesitant to deal from there.