Saturday, September 13, 2014

Rush of Green Turns RedHawks Blue at Big House

Sophomore running back Derrick Green (Richmond, Va./Hermitage) ran for 137 yards and a pair of touchdowns, while graduate student quarterback Devin Gardner (Detroit, Mich./Inkster) passed for 184 yards and two more scores, as the University of Michigan football team rebounded to down Miami University, 34-10, on Saturday (Sept. 13) inside Michigan Stadium.

Junior/sophomore wide receiver Amara Darboh (West Des Moines, Iowa/Dowling Catholic) had a career day, hauling in six receptions for 88 yards and a touchdown, while sophomore tight end Jake Butt (Pickerington, Ohio/Pickerington North) added three catches for 59 yards and a touchdown.

The U-M defense was particularly stifling, including posting a shutout in the second half. The Wolverines held Miami to only 33 yards rushing and 198 yards of total offense. Junior linebacker Joe Bolden (Cincinnati, Ohio/Colerain) led the defense with seven tackles, while fifth-year senior linebacker Jake Ryan (Westlake, Ohio/St. Ignatius) was right behind him with six tackles.

The Wolverines jumped on the RedHawks early, going up 10-0 in the first quarter on a 29-yard field goal from senior kicker Matt Wile (San Diego, Calif./Francis Parker) and a 17-yard touchdown pass from Gardner to Darboh. The touchdown drive was set up by a Miami turnover -- the first Michigan had forced this season -- after sophomore defensive back Jourdan Lewis (Detroit, Mich./Cass Technical) made an acrobatic interception of Miami quarterback Andrew Hendrix to give the Wolverines a short field.

Michigan had trouble holding onto the ball in the second quarter, turning the ball over three times to allow Miami to get back into the game. A Darboh fumble after a long reception and a Gardner interception led to two Miami scoring drives, the first of which was a 26-yard field goal by Kaleb Patterson. On the ensuing kickoff, Patterson kicked off high and short, but Michigan could not field the ball cleanly, allowing Miami to recover the fumble. With a short field, the RedHawks got on the board with their first touchdown, a short three-yard touchdown pass from Hendrix to Dawan Scott, tying the game at 10-10.

The Wolverines responded on the next drive to take a 17-10 lead into the half. After Gardner was sacked to make it a 2nd-and-17, Green got his number called four consecutive times and covered 47 yards, capping the drive with a short one-yard touchdown run.

The two teams traded punts for most of the third quarter until Butt recorded a 29-yard touchdown reception from Gardner to make the score 24-10.

The Michigan defense opened up the fourth quarter by stopping Miami on fourth down. On the next drive, Gardner engineered a nine-play, 68-yard drive to tack on another touchdown, culminating with Green plowing into the end zone from 12 yards out, increasing the lead to 31-10 with 9:50 to play. Then, with 18 seconds left, Wile added a 40-yard field goal to cap the scoring at 34-10.

Michigan will be back in action next Saturday (Sept. 20), hosting Utah at 3:30 p.m. inside Michigan Stadium. The game will be broadcast on ABC.

No comments: