Baylor backup quarterback Seth Russell threw for 438 yards and five touchdowns while playing only the first half, freshman KD Cannon caught three of those scores and No. 10 Baylor overwhelmed FCS team Northwestern State 70-6 on Saturday night.
Cannon went streaking past the secondary for TD catches of 50, 81 and 42 yards in the first quarter for the Bears (2-0) He finished with six catches for 223 yards, the second-most in school history.
Senior quarterback Bryce Petty, the reigning Big 12 offensive player of the year, didn't play a week after cracking two small bones in his back on the first series of the season opener.
The Bears were also without several top receivers, but still won their 12th straight home game, scoring at least 69 points for the sixth time in that streak.
Northwestern State (0-2) has lost 17 games in a row against FBS teams.
• Baylor's defense held opposing teams scoreless for the first 77:06 of game time at McLane Stadium before NSU's field goal with 12:54 left in the 2nd quarter - the Bears haven't allowed a TD in the first two games played at McLane Stadium.
• Baylor's 28 points in the 1st quarter tied the 4th-most in any quarter in program history.
• True freshman WR KD Cannon tied a school record with 3 TD catches in a game (all of which were in the 1st quarter), and his 223 receiving yards were 2nd-most in a game in Baylor history (and set the Baylor record for most in a half, with all recorded in the 1st half).
• Cannon's game marked the 6th time a BU player has caught 3 TDs in a game, joining Lawrence Elkins (1963 at Texas A&M), Melvin Bonner (1992 vs. Utah State and 1992 at TCU), Reggie Newhouse (2001 at Missouri) and Kendall Wright (2011 at Kansas State).
• Cannon caught a 50-yard TD pass on the 4th play of the game, then caught both passes on a 2-play, 96-yard drive later in the 1st quarter, including an 81-yard TD reception that tied the 14th-longest pass in program history.
• Cannon added his 3rd TD catch of the 1st quarter with a 42-yard TD reception with 19 seconds left in the quarter.
• Sophomore QB Seth Russell made his first career start and threw for 438 yards and 5 TDs in the 1st half, both Baylor records for a half. He sat out the 2nd half.
• Russell threw 3 TD passes in the 1st quarter and 2 more in the 2nd, giving him 9 TD passes in his career (6 this season).
• Russell's 438 passing yards were 3rd-most in a game in BU history, and his 6 TDs accounted for tied the Baylor record, which had been accomplished 3 times before.
• Russell rushed for his 4th career touchdown with a 3-yard TD in the 1st quarter.
• Russell's 81-yard TD pass to KD Cannon in the 1st quarter tied the 14th-longest pass in program history.
• RB Shock Linwood had a 2-yard rushing TD in the 2nd quarter for his 10th career rushing TD (2nd of season).
• Linwood had 2 catches for 53 yards, both career highs.
• CB Xavien Howard intercepted a pass for the 2nd straight game, recording his 3rd career interception (2nd of season) on NSU's first drive.
• WR Jay Lee caught a career-long 61-yard TD in the 2nd quarter for his 2nd TD of the season (3rd of career).
• Redshirt freshman RB Johnny Jefferson had a 2-yard rushing TD in the 3rd quarter for his first career rushing touchdown.
• Jefferson rushed 20 times for 107 yards, both career highs.
• LB Bryce Hager had 11 tackles to record his 9th career double-digit tackles game.
• True freshman WR Davion Hall had 4 catches for 78 yards, including a 57-yard TD catch in the 2nd quarter for his first career touchdown.
• Junior RB Silas Nacita had an 11-yard rushing TD in the 4th quarter for his 2nd rushing TD of the season.
• Nacita finished with 14 carries for 104 yards, both career highs.
• Sophomore DT Andrew Billings recorded his first career sack and had a career-high 2 tackles-for-loss.
• Redshirt freshman LB Taylor Young had a career-high 9 tackles and his second career sack in as many games.
STAT OF THE GAME
438: Passing yards for Seth Russell in the first half, a Baylor record for passing yards in a half.